Monday, May 12, 2008

Week 2: Monday






Today was a very productive day for both myself, and Murphy Brothers Tree Service Inc. Even though it was just Linus and I today, we motored right threw the jobs, and I worked on learning some new things. We started at 6:30 am and ended at 4:30 pm. We did a total of four jobs today, mostly just pruning and one removal. The first job we did we needed to do a hazardous tree removal and prune back any limbs that were growing into the power lines. The hazardous removal we had to do was a dead Pine tree the split half way down the tree and was about to fall on the power lines if the wind blew it anymore. We used an abrasive lowering system which consisted of two lines going to the ground. Linus first went up in the bucket and the two lines off, one to the top of the tree, and one to the bottom of the tree where it had cracked. The top line was to hold the top off the tree up while the lower line was to lower the but of the tree down slowly. This was a lot of work because I was the only man on the ground and had to man both lines. When we finally got the tree to the ground, it was a great relief. All it would have taken was for the pine tree to slip a little, and it would have gone right on the wires which wouldn’t have been a good thing at all. The next thing I learned how to do today was stabilize the bucket truck by putting all four outriggers out. The bucket truck can never be operated without the outriggers down. Many times you have to put pads under the outriggers so that they do not damage a yard or driveway, or if you are on a soft area like we were today. Once all four outriggers are down, you are all set to operate the truck. Tomorrow, I hope to get up in the bucket! The last and most important thing I worked on today was backing the chip truck up with the chipper on the back. This is extremely difficult. Before I even attempted to back up the truck and chipper, Linus and I went over the hand signals for backing up which are extremely helpful. Once you get the hand signals down for when to turn, follow your turn and go straight back, it makes life a lot easier. I practiced 3 times today, and all three times it went well. More you practice, the easier it will become. The key is to always go slow and watch closely the person who is giving you the hand signals backing you up. I feel as though I have come along way from behind the since just a week ago. Kevin and Linus keep telling me, the more practice I get the more comfortable I will become, and I can already see a difference from last Monday. Today was a long day and a lot of work with only 2 guys. Tomorrow, we will be back to are regular 4 man crew, and plan to go strong for the rest of the week.

No comments: